File-It-Under: Fractal Chassis By: D.F.Skin
What makes a well constructed computer case in my opinion is one that has a very compact minimal design,yet has enough room within that can accommodate any type of hardware,in particularly your graphic cards which is usually the biggest piece of hardware in your computer. The chassis at best must have adequate cooling, yet still have the ability operate in silence.Finally this well constructed computer case must eliminate heavy usage of tools,the Phillip-head screwdriver.
The new Fractal Design Define R5 Black in my opinion defines a prefect well constructed computer case that should be included in your next computer build. Here's why the Define R5 is for me the perfect computer case.
Lets start off with the Define R5 Black design which is superb yet not saturated with all the unnecessary bells and whistles that's seen on most chassis. Nice simple minimal design with an all metallic black color scheme ( The case also comes in white). The restart and power buttons are well placed on the frontal top portion of the chassis,along with 4 USB ports (2-USB 3.0 and 2-USB 2.0) and audio output ports,which makes it very accessible to the user.
The real star of the show with the Define R5 is whats inside,which is well design for PC builders that comes pack with a bevy of features that's placed in a silent and powerful case. It has expansive air and liquid cooling support which includes two 140mm intake fans that's placed in the front and rear that will provide positive airflow. Switching up top of the Define R5,present is open air vent which also includes vent covers which option the user to cover up the vent by choice.
Interestingly enough,what lends to the acoustics of the case is its cushion foam that's aligned in front,side and bottom of the case. The Define R5 case along with its noise reduction foam has dust filters that's aligned in the front and bottom of the case.
Finally what makes this Define R5 the perfect PC chassis is the drives cages.Like in most high-end cases the drive cages are tool-less and removable,simply slide the drives right in place. Additional space can be created if users decide to add radiator and water pump. You can achieve this by simply removing the entire drive cages.
Here's the overall specs and measurement of the Define R5 Black chassis:
- ATX, Micro ATX, Mini ITX motherboard compatibility
- 7 expansion slots
- 2 - 5.25" bays (removable)
- 8 - 3.5" HDD positions (can also accommodate 2.5" units); 2 - 2.5" dedicated SSD unit positions
- 4 - ModuVent™ plates - three in the top and one in the side
- 9 - fan positions (2 Fractal Design Dynamic GP14 140mm fans included)
- Filtered fan slots in the front and bottom
- CPU coolers up to 180mm in height
- ATX PSUs up to 190/170 mm with a bottom 120/140mm fan installed; when not using any bottom fan location longer PSUs up to 300mm can be used
- Graphics cards up to 310 mm in length with the top HDD cage installed; with the top cage removed, graphics cards up to 440 mm in length may be installed
- 20 - 35 mm of space for cable routing behind the motherboard plate
- Velcro straps included for easy cable management
- Front door can switch opening direction via dual mounting system
- Left side panel features Quick Release System for easy access and provides a secure closure of side panel
- Right side panel features smart captive thumbscrews so no thumbscrews are lost
- Colours available: Black, Titanium (black case, titanium front panel), White
- Case dimensions (WxHxD): 232 x 451 x 521mm
- Case dimensions - with feet/screws/protrusions: 232 x 462 x 531mm
- Net weight: 11.2 kg
- Package dimensions (WxHxD): 327 x 615 x 540mm
- Package weight: 12.8 kg
Credit Sources: Fractal-Design, PC Perspective,PC Lab